The Rules of the Road - Rental Policies
Cancelation Policy: We try to be as flexible as possible with cancelations but cancelations mean that we lose money when the vehicle would have otherwise been rented out. Deposits are fully refundable 30 days or more from your vehicle pickup. If you book less than 30 days in advance of your departure date, you will have 24 hours to cancel for a full refund. If you want to cancel 8-29 days before your departure, we will reschedule one time for no charge, or cancel your rental but your deposit will not be refunded. Your rental fee balance is charged at 7 days before pickup and we are unable to reschedule or refund at that time. The reasons for these policies are due to the fact that we lose out on potential rentals while you had a booking reserved. We apologize for any inconvenience and please reach out with any questions.
Insurance: You must have full liability AND collision insurance to cover the full value of the vehicle that you are renting for the entire rental period. Unfortunately, we do not accept riders or certificates for insurance from other insurance companies. Most insurance companies do not know how to price a camper van conversion and, as such, the value of the vehicle is not fully insured. This insurance policy is specialized for the marketplace and that is why we use it.
Below are the three policies that are offered. Bookings will default to the Essential policy since that includes roadside assistance, but please feel free to choose either of the other policies.
Damages: Any damage to the vehicle during the rental period is your responsibility, regardless of fault. This includes interior, exterior, equipment damage and hurting the vehicle’s feelings (this is notoriously difficult!). We take meticulous care of our vehicles and would ask that you treat them like yours.
We reserve the right to hold your security deposit for up to 7 days so we can have enough time to inspect the vehicles for damage after your return. If damage is identified and assessing or fixing that damage takes longer than 7 days, we will increase the length of the hold until we can present you with the costs of repairs/replacement. If the damage exceeds the deposit, you will be billed for the additional cost. Please keep in mind that this is almost never an issue. Our renters take excellent care of our vehicles and we are confident that you will too!
Pick Up & Drop Off Policy: The Adventure Rig Fam has full time jobs (except the little Adventurers, because child labor laws are very strict in pre-school for some reason!) and so we have limited pick-up and drop off times. Generally, pick-up & drop off times are between 4-5 each weekday. and between 1-5 on weekends. If you need special accommodations we will try to work with your timetable as best as we are able and sometimes can set up late returns or early pick ups for a small fee.
We often have our vehicles rented out with very short turn around time so the vehicles must be dropped off at the agreed upon return time. If you need to drop your rental off late, please contact us first to request a late drop off. If you return your rental late, you will be charged a late fee of $30 per hour unless agreed upon in advance.
Renters must drop their unit off at the dedicated return time as set in the drop off hours. If you need to drop your rental off late, please contact us first to confirm its possible. If you return your rental late, you will be charged $25 per hour late fee unless agreed upon in advance. If you would like to pick up your rental before the earliest pickup time, please contact us to make sure we can accommodate.
Terms and Conditions:
We love helping people have great experiences and we want to help you #ChooseYourOwnAdVANture. We get it; rules are pretty lame sometimes. Your safety, however is our top priority. To that end, we have some rules that every renter must abide by to insure their own safety and prevent damage from themselves and the rental units.
- Renters are required to provide proof of insurance that covers the rental or purchase insurance that covers the rental in the event of an accident.
- All drivers must be at least 25 years old and be listed on the rental agreement.
- Absolutely no drug or alcohol use is permitted while operating or towing a rental unit.
- No smoking or vaping, or scented products of any kind in or around a rental vehicle. We have renters and family members with chemical sensitivities and any lingering smells will result in extra cleaning fees equal to what it costs to remove the smell plus 20% for lost rental time.
- Vehicles may only accommodate as many passengers as there are seatbelts and all passengers must have a seatbelt fastened while vehicle is in motion.
- No walking on the roof rack aside from loading and unloading gear. The roof itself is not made to bear weight.
- The beds are not allowed to be in use while vehicle is in motion.
- No pets with destructive tendencies. We love animals, but insurance does not cover internal damages caused by your pets. You will be liable for all damages while the vehicle is in your possession – via fur babies or otherwise.
- No driving to Mexico. Sorry. Insurance does not cover vehicles there and the vehicles cannot cross the border. Canada is an option, but does require different insurance coverage and must be discussed before the rental.
- Hunting trips are allowed with prior approval, but you may not transport dead animals in the vehicles. Humans are animals and we especially don’t want you transporting dead humans. Please don’t do that. Don’t even think about it. Seriously. Stop thinking about it.
- We do not allow our vehicles to go to the Burning Man festival. The dirt is VERY harsh for vehicles. If you’d like to go to any other music festival, please get approval in advance.
- No unpaved roads aside from groomed gravel roads. Campgrounds are fine. Most unmaintained forestry roads are not. Trust us. We tried it once, never again.
- If not returned with the same amount of fuel, we will charge you $3 per gallon more than the current market price from your security deposit to get it back to the same level.
- Rentals are limited to 30 days or less. If you’d like to rent for more than 30 days, please contact us.
- Rentals cannot be used as “for pay” transport (i.e. Uber, Lyft, etc)
- Renters are liable for any tickets or tolls that get sent to us. We will forward them on so you can take care of them.
- This is perhaps the most important rule: you are REQUIRED to have an amazing time and #ChooseYourOwnAdVANture.
Are y’all pet friendly?
Absolutely. We travel with our dogs all the time in our vehicles. We do some extra cleaning after trips with dogs to benefit all out the outdoor lovers who might be allergic, which is why we charge a small cleaning fee for trips with pets.
Do I need to fill up the tank?
When you pick up a van it will be full. Please return it full so that we can get it on its next trip as quickly as possible. Any gas that is needed to top off will be charged $5/gal against your deposit.
Is mileage included?
Due to the wear and tear, depreciation, and maintenance costs of owning rental vehicles we are unable to provide unlimited mileage. Our drivable vehicles offer 100 miles /day at no cost and additional miles cost $0.35/mile currently, but sometimes we do promotional offers with extra miles. Our travel trailers offer unlimited free miles. We will estimate your mileage cost up front by entering your destination and you will pay a “mileage deposit”. Unused miles will be refunded and miles over will be billed.
When Can I pick them up?
We work by appointment only. Both of us have full time jobs at schools and our bosses generally frown upon us leaving whenever we want. Generally, pick-up & drop off times are between 4-5 each weekday. and between 12-5 on weekends. If you need special accommodations we will try to work with your timetable as best as we are able and sometimes can set up late returns or early pick ups for a small fee.
Can I leave my car there?
Please ask us about this when booking. If you need to leave a vehicle the only available parking will be on the street in front of our house. Please realize that we are not responsible for any damage while it is here.
Where can I go?
Anywhere in the contiguous US that your heart desires. Mexico is a no go, unfortunately due to insurance. Canada is possible, but has different insurance and will need to be approved. Oh, and no burning man. Other festivals do require prior approval.
What kind of electricity do they have?
Our large VanDOit van have a 300aH battery and inverter system that recharges as you drive. This powers the appliances, fridge, vent fan, recharging phones and laptops and the like while off the grid. If you have specific questions about how long it lasts, please let us know. Buddy also has a shore hookup so you can stay put for a while if you want.
“KING” has a a battery and 200w solar panel that can help you enjoy being on grid or off. The heater, led lights, usb charging, bluetooth radio, and speakers work off of the battery. The fridge, and air conditioner need to be plugged in to shore power to work.
Do I have to drive stick?
All of our vehicles are automatic. But if you want to learn, it is a great skill to have. It just isn’t necessary to take ours on an adventure.
Where can I park the vehicles?
Anywhere you have permission to park. You do not need an RV spot. We have lots of strategies for parking free so feel free to ask us about your trip.
Can we go off road?
If you mean a well-maintained dirt road, then yes. Carefully, like you would with any other two-wheel drive vehicle. We don’t have 4×4 and just normal all-weather tires. No unpaved roads aside from groomed gravel roads. Campgrounds are fine. Most unmaintained forestry roads are not. Trust us. We tried it once, never again.
What if I damage something?
Any damage to the vehicle during the rental period is your responsibility. This includes interior or exterior damage. We take meticulous care of our vehicles and would ask that you treat them like yours. At checkout you will have an option to purchase interior insurance for $69 dollars. The vehicle insurance does not cover interior damage.
What is the cancellation policy?
We try to be as flexible as possible with cancelations. Deposits are fully refundable 30 days or more from your vehicle pickup. If you book less than 30 days in advance of your departure date, you will have 24 hours to cancel for a full refund. If you want to cancel 8-29 days before your departure, we will reschedule one time for no charge, or cancel your rental but your deposit will not be refunded.
Your rental fee balance is charged at 7 days before pickup and we are unable to reschedule or refund at that time. The reasons for these policies are due to the fact that we lose out on potential rentals while you had a booking reserved. We apologize for any inconvenience and please reach out with any questions. We really will try to work with you!
What happens if there is a breakdown?
If you have mechanical issues, please contact us immediately and let us know what is happening. We do require roadside assistance for all rentals. You may be able to use your own roadside assistance if you have it. If you do not have your own that covers all vehicles you are driving (such as AAA) we offer roadside as an additional option at booking that covers towing, unlocking, etc. The Essential and Peace of Mind Insurance options come with roadside assistance.
Be advised that any material cost will not be covered. (e.g. unlocking a car would be covered, but if a tire needs replacing the cost of any replacement tire, alignment, mounting and balancing is not covered.)
We want to get you back on the road as quickly as possible. If your vehicle is held overnight due to being at a repair shop due to mechanical error that is not your fault, that night’s rental fee will be refunded.